Primer was released in 2004 and it’s safe to say that it didn’t exactly set the world on fire. When the receipts had all been counted, it had made a little less than half a million. The thing is, when your film costs $7,000 and makes that much (combined with the growing success of Netflix), people start to pay attention. Word of mouth spreads, talk of brilliance and complexity abounds, and the next thing you know, it’s nearly a decade later and director Shane Carruth has (outside of a consultant job on Looper) turned into a myth or legend almost as much as an auteur. But then…Upstream Color.
Shane Young chose Carruth’s latest as his choice for the MOTM, and managed to guide it to a polling victory in a squaker of a vote, with the top three films all finishing within a vote of each other.
Before we get to the links, here’s the IMDb summary for the film, for those that aren’t familiar with it:
“A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives.”
Now, let’s see what your fellow LAMBs had to say about it. Thanks to the LAMBs that sent in their posts for this edition of the MOTM.
* Dan the Man’s Movie Reviews
* Films and Coke
* The Cinematic Katzenjammer
* The Movie Waffler
* The Movie Rat
* The Vern’s Video Vortex
It’s also time to vote on next month’s movie. Once again, I put out the call for MOTM Champions. The gist is this: I ask for volunteers – people to select a film to be placed on the poll (up to 5 per month, as usual), then promote it on their site, Facebook, Twitter, whatever. Should their film win, they are guaranteed a spot on the LAMBcast episode where we will discuss said film. As a bonus (?), they will also get to host that segment of the show. This month, we have just two potential Champions – the sites are listed along with the films in the poll below (and in the sidebar). You have one week to vote (and promote your movies!). I’ll be putting out the call for the next MOTM in a few weeks, so stay tuned.
As we do every month, the LAMBcast is tied in with the MOTM. This time around, Shane hosted the discussion on the MOTM, and was joined by Dylan and first time LAMBcaster Jape Man, who suggested something different and fun after I’d told the guys that we’d be skipping the game. Be sure to check it out.
Also on tap:
* Rants and Raves of the Week
A couple notes:
* The show can be found, of course, via iTunes – just do a search for “LAMBcast.” Also, I always post a link to the show on the LAMBcast’s Facebook page, and there’s a player there if you’d like to listen online.
* Shows will eventually make their way to the LAMBcast Archives. If you’d ever like to catch up on back episodes, go there.
* If you’re interested, you too can be a LAMBcaster – we love new blood! For more information on the LAMBcast, check out the topic at the LAMB Forums. Music provided royalty-free by Kevin MacLeod’s Incompetech website. Big thanks to Kevin for providing this service. Opening song by Cake. The LAMBcast loves feedback, too – if you’d like yours read on a future show, leave it in the comments section at the LAMB. Please visit and like our Facebook page, and finally, we’re on iTunes, and would still love a review, even if it’s a bad one.
Thanks for listening!